Assistant Director of Administration
Common Justice is looking for a seasoned professional to join us as Assistant Director of Administration to form a part of the team responsible for operations, finance, and administration.
Common Justice develops and advances solutions to violence that transform the lives of those harmed and foster racial equity without relying on incarceration. Locally, we operate the first alternative to incarceration and victim service program in the United States to focus on violent felonies in the adult courts. Nationally, we leverage the lessons from our direct service to transform the justice system through partnerships, advocacy, and elevating the experience and power of those most impacted. Rigorous and hopeful, we build practical strategies to hold people accountable for harm, break cycles of violence, and secure safety, healing and justice for survivors and their communities.
The Assistant Director of Administration will support Common Justice as part of a team responsible for operations, finance, and administration. They will report directly to the Director of Operations and Finance. This position is eligible for hybrid-remote work. On-site attendance for this job will be primarily in Brooklyn, though some travel to our Bronx office will be expected.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Support the Director of Operations and Finance in building sustainable financial systems infrastructure,
· Manage the day-to-day of CJ’s financial systems under the direction and supervision of the Director of Operations and Finance; maintain and update policies and procedures; review and approve accounts payable, payroll, & revenue and expense coding,
· Liaise with outsourced accounting consultants who execute the day-to-day bookkeeping functions for the organization,
· Support financial forecasting, budgeting, and reporting processes, monitoring all program area expenditures in relation to budgets,
· Prepare monthly/quarterly financial reports, vouchers, and other reports as needed for government and private funding,
· Interface with auditors and assist in the preparation of the annual financial statements, the 990, and state returns,
· Provide support to the Development Team by preparing budgets and budget modifications, as well as reporting or other financial documentation for donor and grantor requests,
· Identify opportunities for integrating different financial, administrative and/or technological tools and systems to improve existing processes for program management,
· Partner with the Assistant Director of Operations in knowledge management and coordinating the flow of information across the organization,
· Partner with the Assistant Director of Operations to provide a strong and supportive day-to-day facilities leadership presence,
· Cross-train in core operations functions to strengthen the team, create redundancies, and preserve institutional knowledge – includes oversight of IT systems, facilities, and general compliance,
· Attend to other arising matters as needed to ensure the overall efficient administration and health of the organization.
· Demonstrated experience in nonprofit finance and administration,
· Knowledge of GAAP and nonprofit finance operations principals,
· Experience with nonprofit grant revenue and expense recognition,
· An approach to finance and administration that is grounded in equity and inclusion,
· Visionary mindset with excellent strategic reasoning and critical thinking ability
· Ambitious and enthusiastic with project management skills to balance the demands of day-to-day work and emerging matters with the need to drive long-term projects,
· Centered and flexible, bringing a high level of integrity and transparency to the work.
Nonprofit administrative roles can vary widely, and we recognize that no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Salary is commensurate with experience within Common Justice’s pay range of $92,000 - $98,000 for an Assistant Director level position. A competitive benefits package is provided, including medical, dental, life, long-term disability insurance, retirement 401(k), and substantial vacation. Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] using the subject line “AD of Admin – FirstName LastName”
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis – early submission is encouraged.
Common Justice is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status. Common Justice values diverse experiences, including regarding educational background and justice system involvement. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.